Petersburg Public Library System provides storytime through outreach to daycares and schools. Please arrange a time at your facility for a great interactive experience with books.
What is Storytime?
Storytimes are 30 to 45 minutes of fun learning activities, designed for preschoolers, ages 3 through 5 years. Each session may include books, songs, puppets, short films, and occasionally, guest storytellers. The Library will also arrange additional storytimes for groups of children from schools or day care centers.
Why Do We Have Storytime?
Research has proven that when children are introduced to books at an early age, developmental patterns of reading form and continue throughout life. Our experience confirms that preschoolers not only enjoy reading and listening, but also sharing what they have learned with others. Children benefit from the sessions by broadening their vocabulary, listening skills, and the ability to share experiences with children of their own age level.
Guidelines For Day Care Centers
- Private groups may schedule a storytime for groups of 20-25 children per session.
- There must be at least one adult per ten children in each group.
- School or day care teachers and aides must remain with groups during storytime.
- If the center is unable to hold storytime on the scheduled date, please call the library in advance to cancel session (preferably the day before).
What You Can Do For Your Library:
Encourage your child(ren) to speak quietly while visiting the library. Instruct your child(ren) to behave in an orderly manner. Bring your child(ren) regularly.
10 Good Reasons To Have Storytime:
- Enhances children’s listening skills.
- Introduces children to a wide variety of experiences.
- Helps prepare children for learning to read.
- Improves and enriches the quality of children’s lives.
- Helps them do well in school.
- Provides fun and enjoyment for children and adults.
- Introduces children to art through illustrations.
- Helps create a special bond between parents and children.
- Provides inspiration through words.
- Shows them you care.