PETERSBURG PUBLIC LIBRARY
Customers seeking notarizations must bring:
- Unsigned documents to be notarized
- Originals of any documents to be copied and notarized
- Notaries can only notarize certified copies made by library staff
- Valid photo identification: Photo IDs must be current and in a language the notary understands. If an ID is not familiar to the notary, the notary has the option to refuse acceptance.
Notaries will NOT be able to notarize the following documents:
- Post- or pre-dated documents
- True copies of birth, death, or marriage certificates, which—by law—Virginia notaries are not authorized to certify
Please be aware that Petersburg Public Library notaries follow these guidelines:
- Notaries may decline to notarize a document if they are uncertain of the identity or mental capacity of the signer.
- Photo identification should be provided by all signers, even if the signer is “known.” Acceptable forms of ID include:
- Alien Registration Card with photograph
- State-issued Driver’s License
- State-issued Identification Card
- Uniformed Services Identification Card
- United States passport
- United States passport card
- Certificate of United States citizenship
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Foreign passport
A notary public is not duly trained or certified to practice law. Therefore, notaries are unable to provide assistance in prescribing or determining the particular document a customer may need; selecting the type of notarization or certificate for a given document; preparing a document or giving advice on how to fill out, draft, or complete a document; providing legal counseling or advice in a legal matter that may or may not involve a notarial act.